Kentucky Derby Party Tips
Run for the Roses!
Your centerpiece will represent “The Infield”, which is the flat grassy area inside of the track. The infield is famous for hosting a large Kentucky Derby party. All you need is a tray of wheat grass, which you can get at any florist or floral market. The wheat grass can be placed on a tray or platter and looks great as is. Placing small plastic horses around the rim of the grass would look so cute! Or surround the grass with red roses – after all, The Kentucky Derby is called The Run For The Roses!
Extravagant hats are a staple at the Derby. Create sweet little place cards using mini straw hats that you can find at arts and craft stores. Decorate with ribbons and small flowers. Attach a nametag to the brim and you’re all set.
The Kentucky Derby is part of The Triple Crown. A series of three races, the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes, that is run annually by a group of thoroughbred horses.
Give every guest at your party their own crown by folding the napkins in the traditional crown fold. Just follow these simple step-by-step directions:
- Lay the napkin face down in front of you.
- Fold the napkin in half diagonally.
- Orient the napkin so the open ends are pointing away from you.
- Fold the right-corner up so that the point rests directly on top of the middle-corner. The edge of this new flap should lie on the centerline of the napkin.
- Repeat step four on the other side, bringing the left-most corner up to meet the middle-corner, creating a diamond shape.
- Fold the bottom of the napkin up about 2/4′s of the way and press this fold down well.
- Fold the smaller triangle down so the point rests on the near edge of the napkin. Press.
- Curl the left and right sides of the napkin up so they meet in the middle and tuck one into the other.
- Stand it up and tug at it where needed to even it up and round it out. If your napkins are too limp then think of starch as napkin Viagra and make them good and stiff.
Petite floral arrangements made in silver julep cups would be perfect. Use fresh mint as the greenery and arrange with a few red roses. You can use these julep cup arrangements to decorate your table, either placing one at each guest’s place setting, or arranging them as centerpieces. At the end of the party give one to each guest as they leave and thank them for joining in the fun!
Posted: May 06, 2011 02:05:34 under Entertainment.