Location: Carle Place, NY
Position Type: Full-Time
The Desktop Technician?s role is to provide a single point of contact for end-users to receive support and maintenance within the organization?s desktop computing environment. This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all PC hardware and equipment to ensure optimal workstation performance. The person will also troubleshoot problem areas (in person, by telephone, or via e-mail) in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end-user assistance where required.
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop problems for end-users, and recommend and implement corrective solutions, including off-site repair for remote users as needed.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end-user workstations and related hardware and software in order to deliver required desktop service levels.
- Assess the need for and implement performance upgrades to PC boxes, including the installation of CPUs, I/O and NIC cards, hard disks, ribbon cables, hard drives, RAM, memory chips, CD-ROMs, and so on.
- Collaborate with LAN technicians/network administrators to ensure efficient operation of the company?s desktop computing environment.
- Where required, administer and resolve issues with associated end-user workstation networking software products.
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, pages, and/or e-mails regarding desktop problems.
- Answer to and perform moves, adds, and changes (MAC) requests as they are submitted by line managers.
- Ensure that physical desktop connections (i.e. RJ-45 Ethernet jacks, RJ-11 telephone modem jacks, connectors between PCs and servers, etc.) are in proper working order.
- Prepare tests and applications for monitoring desktop performance, then provide performance statistics and reports.
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, and upholding procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring desktop operations.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of all monitors, keyboards, hard drives, modems, network cards, and other components and equipment.
- Accurately document instances of desktop equipment or component failure, repair, installation, and removal.
- If necessary, liaise with third-party support and PC equipment vendors.
- Conduct research on desktop products in support of PC procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend products for purchase.
- Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future desktop hardware needs.
- Write technical specifications for purchase of PCs, desktop hardware and related products.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 5 years equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in Microsoft.
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC and desktop hardware.
- Excellent technical knowledge of PC internal components.
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Extensive equipment support experience with Blackberry?s.
- Working technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems, and standards, including TCPIP.
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
- Ability to conduct research into PC issues and products as required.
- Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Understanding of the organization?s goals and objectives.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail.
- Self motivated and directed, with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- On-call availability as needed.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, hand and power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of heavy to moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
To Apply: E-Mail: careers@1800Flowers.com
Send your Cover Letter and Resume, including salary history, to:
Human Resources at
One Old Country Road
Carle Place, NY 11514
Only Qualified Applicants Will Be Contacted.