Merchandise Assistant Manager | THE POPCORN FACTORY
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Responsible for assisting the Merchandise Manager in all aspects of product development, merchandise procurement, profitability and availability. Ensures product and merchandise information is communicated to all staff and systems. Assists in product presentations, catalog and website photography, and layouts and production. This position requires attention to detail, creativity, high taste level, a strong sense of urgency, and an understanding of The Popcorn Factory customer.
- 40% Assist in product development, product sourcing, website and catalog execution.
Work with Wholesale Manager and Business Gift Services (BGS) to merchandise special requests and product presentations. Responsible for accurate system entry of item masters and product structures into Oracle for wholesale items.
- 15% Coordinates product reviews with Operations prior to start up of each campaign to insure accuracy of Bill of Materials.
- 15% Prepare monthly e-mail campaigns for review and approval by Director of Merchandising, Director of Marketing and Merchandise Manager.
- 25% Orders samples and maintains sample inventory. Coordinates and prepares photography samples and insures timely delivery at photography studio. Participates in photographic process.
- Reviews sales reports on a weekly basis for trends, activity, and potential issues and identifies solutions or alternatives. Reviews inventory reports for availability / excess inventory of components.
- Verifies and proofreads catalog copy. Coordinates with Production and QA and E-Commerce product information and availability.
- 5 % Coordinates quality control. Reacts to ensure compliance with laws and regulations that affect business (NLEA & FDA).
- In addition, this position is responsible for managing the merchandise department in the absence of the Merchandise Planner, directly, prioritizing, and managing the work flow and process of the department.
Demonstrated leadership ability to influence, motivate and inspire others in cross functional areas to work effectively together
- Must be able to juggle priorities and be willing to assume additional responsibilities
- Ability to competitive shop, read market trends, interprets, and translates into viable business opportunities.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in business, merchandising, or related area and 3 to 5 years of experience in merchandising/purchasing experience, preferably experience in a related environment, or and equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Requires good skills in prioritizing and organizing, considerable skill in selection of product offerings and merchandise analysis. Strong knowledge of current purchasing and sourcing practices; effective communication; good knowledge of PC operation and software; good knowledge of laws and regulations that affect the business in the area of purchasing and merchandising such as FDA, label laws, and liability claims. Ability to adapt to change and perform job under stress with attention to detail and a strong sense of urgency. Ability to lead and manage others, provides direction and support, and makes decisions on a timely basis.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws including compliance with Nutritional Labeling and Ingredient information. Incumbent will supervise other employees and will provide guidance and direction in absence of the Merchandise Manager.
- The employee in this position reports to the Merchandise Manager, but may also receive direction from the Director of Merchandising. The employee in this position works independently and reports back to the supervisor with any unusual problems.
- Makes decisions regarding compliance with labeling and nutritional requirements. Participates in decisions regarding vendor negotiations and quality assurance.
- Communicates internally with purchasing, inventory, marketing, operations, corporate and consumer customer sales & service and the merchandising team. Communicates externally with vendors.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must communicate with vendors and other company staff via phone; utilize a personal computer, read and interpret information from printed materials and computer screen: the work requires close vision, distance vision and color vision in analyzing reports, merchandise and product.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is in a typical office environment with a moderate noise level. Most of the work is performed in a sitting position. Some outside travel may be required.
- Personal Computer; telephone, electronic calculator; copier; and other office type equipment.
MEASURE OF EFFECTIVENESS:
- Effectiveness is measured by timeliness and accuracy of data and information entered, positive vendor relationships, effective internal communication, all of which should result in improved sales & profit performance.
Send your Cover Letter and Resume, including salary history, to:
Human Resources at
One Old Country Road
Carle Place, NY 11514
Only Qualified Applicants Will Be Contacted.