Keep It Green for Life
Although artificial plants never have to be watered and will never die, they can't do what live plants do: clean the air. That's because one of the best ways to improve air quality-at work or at home-is to have house plants as part of the décor. A classic NASA study found that common house plants were able to remove up to 87 % of air toxins in 24 hours.
According to one study in particular, one six-inch houseplant per 100 square feet of living area does a good job of cleaning the air. The more healthy and vigorous the plant, the better it is at getting rid of harmful pollutants.
Besides adding beauty and drama to every room, there are many good reasons to have plants in your home or office. Here are just a few:
- Plants emit oxygen we need to breathe while absorbing the carbon dioxide we exhale.
- They absorb toxins in the air-including those found in paints, varnishes, dry cleaning fluids, car exhaust fumes and tobacco smoke.
- Plants absorb VOCs (Volatile Organic Chemicals) linked to Sick Building Syndrome. These include ammonia, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, benzene, xylene and tricholoroethytene. Philodendrons, spider plants and pothos removed formaldehyde best; Gerbera daisies and chysanthemums were most effective at removing benzene.
- Green plants reduce headaches, sore, dry throats, dry or itchy skin, fatigue, and other cold-related symptoms by more than 30%, partially by increasing humidity levels and decreasing dust.
- Plants keep us calm and reduce stress. Some studies suggest that house plants help people feel better about themselves and more optimistic.
- Need help recovering from surgery? One study showed that hospital patients who faced a window with a garden view recovered more quickly than those who faced a wall.
- Having trouble focusing? Plants absorb noise, which in turn can help your concentration levels climb and increase creativity and productivity.
- Tired of burning? Plants come to the rescue! Count on them to shade us from the sun.
The 9 Best Air Purifying Plants:
- Dragon Tree
- Spider plants
- Peace lilies