When you want to learn an art form, you start at the beginning. Our Bonsai Starter Kit will set you up with all the basic tools and information you'll need to get started, from pruning shears and a roll of aluminum shaping wire to an easy step-by-step book written by a world-class bonsai expert. This instructional book includes helpful answers to many typical bonsai questions. Begin your personal exploration of this time-honored craft with our 3-in-1 Starter Kit; you're sure to reap great rewards for your time and energy.
- Bonsai Starter Kit includes an easy-to-read instructional book: 101 Essential Tips: Bonsai by Harry Tomlinson; quality pointed pruning shears, and a roll of aluminum wire
- The author is a leading European bonsai artist and educator with more than 30 years experience in the field
- The book is chock-full of basic essentials to get started, step-by-step instructions and answers to all the common questions about bonsai
- A roll of 2.5 mm aluminum wire, used to help artistically shape a bonsai by changing the direction of the trunk and branches
- Pointed pruning shears for details bonsai shaping and trimming; measures 8"L
Tips on Watering
Careful watering is key to maintaining healthy bonsai. Never allow your bonsai to completely dry out. Watering instructions may vary slightly depending on the tree or plant species. Please refer to the information tag attached to your bonsai for specific information. Over time you will be able to evaluate each particular bonsai's water requirements and create your own watering schedule to accommodate it. Note whether your bonsai is considered an indoor or outdoor tree and refer below to more specific watering tips for each type.
Best results are achieved by watering with a small watering can or hose attachment with a fine-spray nozzle so that water cascades are softer, avoiding blasts to bonsai and potting soil. To water, thoroughly soak the container's soil until water runs out of the bottom drainage holes. Periodic misting of the tree's foliage is also recommended.
Trimming and Pinching
Bonsai trees benefit from trimming to maintain their miniature size and beautiful form. Pinch and trim new growth back to the farthest safe point, being careful not to remove all new growth. For more in-depth tips about trimming (and training) techniques, an instructional book will provide the best, safest recommendations to keep your bonsai in tip-top shape.