Ever take the time to plan or do something nice for somebody just because? Didn’t you feel GREAT afterwards? Well, what if we told you that you could lift someone’s spirits again almost instantly and not have to do too much work to get there? The next time you see someone who could use a pick-me-up, or if you’re just feeling generous, here are 10 easy ways to spread a smile:
If there’s one thing that nobody can deny, it’s that the holiday season is one of the happiest times of the year – there’s family, food and of course, gifts! But while most people view presents as those material items you wrap up and place under the tree, we at 1800Flowers.com believe that there is something even more special you can deliver just by donating some of your time and energy, and that’s a smile.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of 10 organizations that you can work with this holiday season to give someone the best gift of all. But first, a few tips on how to help you decide which one is right for you:
1. Think about your interests – what are you passionate about? Sports? Music? Animals? Deciding on a cause that you’d like to support is the first step to finding the perfect charity or organization.
2. Determine a distance. Are you just looking to help out locally or are you interested in traveling? If you want to stay around town, look to see what organizations work in your neighborhood.
3. Check out the mission. Once you know what type of organization you’d like to help and how far you’re willing to go, find a few and take a look at each of their mission statements. Although they may be supporting something similar, their lines of work may differ, so you’ll need to decide exactly what about that cause you’d like to help with.
If you talk to someone who lives in a warm climate year round, they may beg to differ when you suggest to them that winter is awesome – snow? The cold? Really? Of course! Although temperatures drop in many parts of the world and the sun doesn’t shine for as long as it does during other times of the year, winter is just one of those seasons we couldn’t live without; here’s why:
1. The Holidays
It’s the most wonderful time of the year – literally! Between secret Santas, having eight nights of gift giving for Hanukkah and ringing in the New Year, no other season is as filled with holiday cheer as this one!
Holiday decor, that is. Driving around town to view Christmas lights while listening to holiday music is one of the best parts of the season for sure. And of course, there’s the actual process of decorating the tree. Do you usually get to put the star on top?
At the end of a long, hard day, sometimes the only thing you need is something that can instantly make you smile. And while for you that may be coming home to your family or listening to your favorite song, there’s one thing that we know always puts a smile on our face, and we bet it does for you too – animals! If life’s been a little ruff lately, these animals with flowers are sure to cheer you up!
This little kitty can’t wait to get her paws on these beautiful pink roses!
Spring and summer sure are nice, but if you live in an area that’s lucky enough to experience the change in seasons, then you know just how wonderful fall is too! Between the transformation of the leaves, the cool, crisp air, and of course, the transition into the holiday season, there are so many reasons why autumn is something to look forward to. How many can you name? Below, we list 10 of our own »
1. Colors and decor
What other time of year do you know of that produces colors as beautiful as fall does? With the streets and sidewalks turning into a sea of oranges, yellows and reds, the scenery fall presents is just incredible. Getting a bit more specific, one of our favorite places to see the colors come together is in floral arrangements and fall plants! From mums to hydrangeas, roses and more, the mix of fall colors make for a beautiful arrangement! And then there’s the decor. In addition to the fall foliage, you can make your home pop with fall colors by decorating with some of the season’s finest – starting with a fall wreath! What have you done to your home so far?
2. Pumpkin everything
Whether it’s added to your breakfast, your coffee or your nighttime dessert, fall is all about pumpkin and pumpkin spice – one of our favorite flavors! Though you may be able to find recipes that produce this particular taste throughout the rest of the year, you won’t find it the way you do during the fall – it’s practically available at every store! The theme of pumpkin spice itself is used quite a bit too, such as in fall bouquets that can be used as autumn decor!
Every day is filled with a million reasons to give; every moment an opportunity to share. And sometimes, the smallest things are often the ones worth celebrating.
- You always make me smile
- It’s the third Wednesday of the month
- I’m paying it forward
- It was so good to see you last week
- You had a bad hair day
- I want to make your day brighter
- You put up with my music
- Traffic was a nightmare today
- You deserve a surprise
- Making you happy makes me happy
- You would never expect it
- You’re on my mind
- You could use a pick-me-up
- I felt like it
- You’re out of sight, but not out of mind
- You saved me the last piece of cake
- You’re the first person I want to talk to in the morning
- I’m feeling happy
- You cleaned the house
- You inspire me
- It’s payday
- You wore the sweater I bought you
- You made it this far
- I’m not perfect
- You helped me put together my new table so I don’t have to eat on the floor anymore
- I made you late
- …do I really need a reason?
- You think I’m beautiful without makeup
- You motivate me
- I dreamt about you
- You cut the crust off my bread
- It’s the little things
- You let me pick the movie
- You put up with my family
- You watch sports with me
- You deserve it
- I DVR’d over your favorite show
- You did me a favor
- You’re volunteering your time
- We’ve been best friends forever
- I can and I will
- I don’t want to wait until Valentine’s Day to say “I Love you” <3
- I haven’t seen you in ages
- You laugh at my [bad] jokes
- You helped me move
- You had a rough day
- You got a good report card
- I’d still be fixing that flat tire if it wasn’t for your help
- You’re my favorite gym buddy
- You take out the trash
- I can be weird around you
- You lent me that book
- It’s your half birthday
- You always go out of your way for me
- Your proofreading helped me get the job!
- You refused to let me pay for dinner and drinks
- You didn’t get mad when I borrowed your clothes
- Every day is a new day
- You were a great dog and house sitter (AND didn’t burn the house down!)
- You helped me with ALL my college applications
- Laughing with you is so much fun
- You dealt with the annoying parking lots to pick me up from the airport
- You “like” all my selfies on Instagram
- I miss you
- You didn’t tell Mom on me
- You’re on a diet and this arrangement has zero calories
- You were the designated driver too many weekends in a row
- You missed your track meet to spend the day with Grandma
- The recipe you gave me actually got the kids to eat their veggies!
- You love roses
- I’m lucky to have you in my life
- I can always count on you
- You make my heart beat fast
- I heard our favorite song on the radio
- You never give up
- Inside jokes are the best
- You watched the entire chick flick with me… even though the game was on
- It’s a three-day weekend!
- Life should be celebrated, every day
- You let me crash at your place for the weekend
- You let me vent to you
- You made me laugh so hard it hurt
- We’re happy & healthy
- You folded AND put the laundry away!
- You woke me up when my alarm clock failed
- You’re the only other person that can quote all of Mean Girls with me
- You followed your heart
- I wanted to know you were smiling, because of me
- You’re brave
- I wanted to impress you.. and your coworkers 😉
- We’ve known each other for 384 days today
- I want you to know I’m here…
- Movie nights are better with you!
- You’re better off without him
- You’re my #WCW
- I wanted to do something nice
- You’re always my “plus 1”
- Better late than never
- You saved me the last cookie
Like flowers, friends are a colorful addition to our lives, adding beauty, inspiration, and happiness to our day to day lives. To celebrate this unique bond, we’ve put together some of the most inspiring quotes about friendship, from Hollywood to literature.
Friendship Day 2016 is August 7, so grab your favorite pals and celebrate your special relationships and memories! If your friends are close at heart but far in distance, pick your favorite quote about friendship and pair it with a heartfelt card about friendship delivered straight to their inbox!
On a relatively quiet Friday afternoon, our Smile Team ventured to the Massapequa 1800Flowers retail store to deliver smiles to our customers and passers-by. Since it happened to be June 21st, the first day of summer, the team created an old-fashioned Lemonade Stand in the parking lot, where they offered free cups of lemonade to anyone seeking a little refreshment.
Armed with a homemade sign and sandwich board, and with some junior Smile Team members on hand to help give out the lemonade, the team was ready to start serving. But there was a fun catch to this Lemonade Stand—anyone who came by for a drink (yes, the team actually gave out cups of lemonade) was also surprised with a truly original Make Lemonade™ bouquet!
Most people were shocked, not realizing they were getting a gorgeous bouquet for free! Especially with the kids lending a hand, almost everyone thought it was a charity event. But instead it was simply 1800Flowers delivering sweet smiles!
Smile Team member and 1800Flowers.com employee Chandra Savage recalls her favorite encounter of the day: “I told the customer ‘This is for you just because 1800Flowers wants to share a smile.’ She couldn’t believe it, until finally I told her ‘No, this is just for you!’ She then asked me to take a picture with her so we could smile together.”
Fellow Smile Team member Craig Aquino adds, “The shock on people’s faces when we pulled the arrangements out from under the lemonade stand was priceless. People were genuinely surprised to receive a free gift just for stopping by which created many impromptu smiles. These were contagious, as I couldn’t stop grinning myself.”
Even the real stars of the day, the kids who were an invaluable part of drawing people to the stand, were touched by the day’s events. “It made me feel happy,” said Cassie Tura, daughter of Smile Team member Joe Tura, “to sell lemonade, then give people flowers instead and watch them smile.”
All in all, it was a rewarding afternoon for our Smile Team. Whether it was giving out lemonade to a tired bicyclist, or handing an arrangement to a busy mother of two, “it felt good to catch everyone off guard,” said Team Leader Michael Yi. “We were sort of refreshing them in two ways.”
Free Cheryl’s Cookies and Popcorn Factory Popcorn Balls!
We’ve all heard the expression, “There’s no such thing as a free lunch.” Well, that is especially true at baseball games, where a hot dog can cost up to seven dollars. That is why we at 1-800-Flowers.com decided to hand out pallets of free Cheryl’s cookies and popcorn balls from The Popcorn Factory. As part of our Summer of Smiles Campaign, we sent a Smiles team to Citi Field on Tuesday, July 2nd, and spent the night delivering smiles to baseball fans. After watching the first five innings of the game, our team gathered at the main entrance, ready to brighten up the days of the many fans that were leaving the ball park.
Although it got a bit hectic at some points, the shocked and thankful reactions of the fans encouraged us to work hard. We stayed until the very end so that we could give away cookies and popcorn to the dedicated fans who sat through the rain to see the entire game. By the end of the day, we were able to put a smile on the faces of thousands of people. To top it all off, the Mets came away with a win! Now, that’s what I call a great day.
1-800-Flowers.com Summer of a Million Smiles Program Delivers 4th of July Smiles to Northport VA Medical CenterJuly 3, 2013
On Monday July 1, 2013, the 1-800-Flowers.com Summer of a Million Smiles program gave a special 4th of July salute to the war veterans at Northport Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Northport, N.Y. To show our heroes appreciation and gratitude for their service, we delivered star-spangled smiles to the nursing home with dozens of patriotic flowers!
Smile Squad team leader and 1-800-Flowers.com employee Maureen Paradine headed to the Northport VA Medical Center with her co-workers Kelly Trench, John Sharkey, Marc Cole, Christine Brooks, Cynthia Thompson, Pam Sciala, Tina Finnochiaro, Jalisa Clark and Rachel Armendariz to pay homage to the nursing home veterans, who live there year-round. Each veteran living at the Northport VA Medical Center was injured in the line of duty while serving in the military.
To help make the nursing home extra-festive in time for its annual 4th of July dinner, the Smile Squad decorated the halls with an Americana Heart Preserved Wreath and adorned the dining room with 35 beautiful patriotic arrangements and brightly lit candles. Once the decorations were ready, the team also hand-delivered red, white and blue carnations—and big smiles to match—to 119 patients.
At the end of the day, Smile Squad members were fortunate enough to enjoy a private luncheon with the vets, during which they presented a beautiful bouquet to a WWII and Korean War veteran and his lovely wife of 57 years. The 4th of July Summer of a Million Smiles event team was also most fortunate to receive product donations from 1-800-Flowers.com’s supplier partners: Pavilion Gift Company, Infinite Rose, Floral Treasure, Pacific Bouquet and DelawareValley. Their thoughtful and generous contributions brought smiles to everyone’s faces!
After meeting so many amazing heroes—such as a POW Commander and a D-Day Beach Lander—and listening to their touching military stories, the 1-800-Flowers.com Smile Squad thanked each one for their service and wished them a happy 4th of July. The day was emotionally charged and unforgettable for the team members, who were all so happy to be a part of such a special day.
“My Summer of a Million Smiles team had the best day visiting with the Vets at the Northport VA Hospital,” says Smile Squad member and 1-800-Flowers.com employee Rachel Armendariz. “Paying tribute to these brave and honorable soldiers makes me proud to be an American. Thank you to 1-800-Flowers.com for putting the program together!”