The series “Language of Grief” provides inspirational advice and ideas for expressing condolence across a myriad of situations. In this article, we explore pet sympathy card messages and other ideas after a friend or loved one loses a four-legged companion.
It’s not easy to know what to say when a friend or family member loses a pet. For many people, their dogs and cats are part of the family. Four-legged companions are incredibly special to their owners, and their passing can have a deep effect on them. When a loved one’s furry friend passes, there are a few things you can do to help ease their pain.
Don’t ask them when they will get another dog or cat – their pet is irreplaceable.
Whether you’ve been through the loss of a pet or not, it’s important to be there for the griever in any way you can, says Marty Tousley, grief counselor and moderator at Grief Healing Discussion Groups.
“Listen actively,” she says. “Expect to hear the same story over and over again. Repeating is helpful for the griever and acts as a pain reliever. If something similar happened to you, share but don’t compare your experience, and do so only if asked.”
Heather Myers, a licensed veterinary technician and the owner of pet goods shop Scouting Hope, says it’s helpful to keep the griever busy. “Offer them to come for walks with your dog, or to come over and spend time with your dog or cat at your house,” she says. “Making a donation in honor of their pet is also a beautiful thing you can do. Don’t ask them when they will get another dog or cat – their pet is irreplaceable.”
She suggests asking the griever to tell their favorite stories about their furry friend, or for you to share memories of their pet that made you smile.
Another way to help ease the griever’s pain is by writing a sympathy card to let them know you’re thinking of them. “A card, note, or letter expressing sympathy or sorrow over the loss of a pet can be reread many times, and it can bring great comfort for weeks, months, even years afterward,” says Tousley.
Below are 25 pet loss quotes you can use to help your loved one navigate the passing of their beloved companion.
Pet loss quotes to consider for your sympathy card
- “[Pet’s name] was always there for you and loved you no matter what. Now that perfect love lives on in your heart. We will miss [pet’s name], too.”
- “May [pet’s name]’s love bring you peace, and may the memories you both shared bring comfort to your broken heart. I’m thinking of you at this sad time.”
- “Heaven is filled with love, so your [pet’s name] should feel right at home there. You gave him/her such a wonderful home on Earth.”
- “No one ever really dies who is remembered with love. May the love you share with [pet’s name] be your comfort now, and may you be soothed by the knowledge that love’s eternal beauty will shine forever in your heart.”
- “My heart hurts for you. Sending you a comforting hug.”
- “Sending you love while your best friend crosses the rainbow bridge.”
- “[Pet’s name] was such a good dog/cat. You were lucky to have found each other.”
- “I am so sorry for your loss. [Pet’s name] will be missed greatly.”
- Losing such a big part of your family is never easy. Thinking of you and your family in this difficult time.”
- “[Pet’s name] was so lucky to have chosen you. He/she will be greatly missed.”
- “May the memories of [pet’s name] bring you comfort during this time of loss.”
- “I know how much [pet’s name] meant to you. Sending lots of love during this difficult time.”
- “[Pet’s name] was so loved and he’ll/she’ll always be with you in your heart. I’ll never forget the happiness he/she brought everyone he/she met.”
- “I’m sorry to hear that [pet’s name] crossed the rainbow bridge. My condolences are with you and your family.”
- “[Pet’s name] will always be in your heart. My sincere condolences to you and your family.”
- “I can’t imagine the grief you’re feeling after losing [pet’s name]. He/she was a special part of your family and brought so much happiness. Sending love.”
- “You are the most amazing pet mom/dad and the bond you had with [pet’s name] will live on forever. I love you and I’m here for you.”
- “We share your sorrow. [Pet’s name] was truly an incredible dog/cat.”
- “I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope the pain in your heart will be eased by the beautiful memories you shared with [pet’s name].”
- “I’m so sorry for your loss. [Pet’s name] was a loyal and faithful friend. Keep the memories of him/her safe in your heart.”
- “I’m sorry to hear about your furry friend. I know how special he/she was to you.”
- “You and [pet’s name] will always be connected. Thinking of you during this difficult time.”
- “To lose a true friend is never easy. You’re in my thoughts during this difficult time.”
- “I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ll never forget how sweet [pet’s name] would greet us when we came to visit.”
- “I’m so sorry you lost your best friend. [Pet’s name] was such a gentle soul, and now he/she is your angel.”
Show a loving family grieving the loss of a pet that you are thinking about them with one of our pet memorial items. From pet sympathy flowers to pet plaques for the loss of a dog, cat, bird or any other beloved furry friend, your thoughtful gesture will bring light during this dark time.
Comments are closed.