Mum plants are one of the most popular plants, especially for fall, and as the weather cools, we begin to see more and more mums! The long-lasting mum plant comes in many varieties and colors, and often makes the perfect outside decoration to spice up one’s home!
Mums are short for “chrysanthemums” and have also been called “chrysanths.” Originating from Asia and Northeast Europe, there are countless varieties in the chrysanthemum family, usually differentiating themselves by their petals. For example, spider mums have curly petals while fuji mums have long straight petals.
Buy Mum Plants in Budding Stage
When buying mums, people have a tendency to buy them in full bloom for the full color. However, this is actually not the best time to buy mums. For the most longevity out of your mums, it is actually best to buy them in the budding stage. In time, the buds will bloom into larger flowers.
When flowering, mum plants, as well as other blooming plants, require extra water for the energy they are exerting, so make sure your mums are well hydrated to bloom to their full potential.
Maintenance & When to Plant Mums
If your plant is put outside and survives the winter, it should be shaped and pruned down. This will increase the number of flowers, and add to the blooming appearance of the plant. The best time to do this is around the first of July. If left untrimmed, the plant will bloom early by the end of the summer.
Mums Make a Perfect Long-Lasting Gift
Mum plants make great long-lasting gifts because even after the blooms are gone, can be planted outside anytime before a hard frost (depending on your climate), ready to rebloom in the fall!
If you liked this article, you may also be interested in some of our other Petal Talk articles from 1-800-FLOWERS.COM Expert Jerry Rosalia:
· DIY Mother’s Day Crafts: How to Make a Mother’s Day Floral Arrangement
· How to Make an Easter Floral Arrangement
· How to Make A DIY St. Patrick’s Day Floral Arrangement
· Winter Plant Care Tips: How to Care for Plants in the Cold Weather
· Keeping It Green: How To Keep Plants Alive
· How To Repot A Plant
· How To Arrange Flowers With A Gridded Vase
· Rose Care: How to Save Roses with “Bent Necks”
· How to Make a DIY Halloween Flower Arrangement with Halloween Candy
· Learn more about Jerry Rosalia and his 58+ years of experience in the flower and plant industry!