“Modern Expressions” is a series that helps you to find the perfect words when writing cards or letters. In this story, find ideas on what to write in a get well card.
Finding the words to write in a get well card isn’t always easy. We send well wishes to someone when they are dealing with illness, injury, or other unfortunate news. While the reason for the card may be sad, it offers the opportunity to show our support and express how much we care.
“A get-well note should make the recipient feel supported and loved,” says Tia Newcomer, CEO of personal health nonprofit CaringBridge. “Helping people stay connected at a time when they feel very disconnected from normal life can often mean the most.”
The tone of a get-well note should be personable, supportive, and thoughtful. Newcomer suggests making your card a tribute by including personal touches. “Oftentimes, including a memory in your card can make it even more special,” she says. “Jot down one of your favorite funny or touching stories, or even just a word or phrase that reminds you of them.”
Below are examples of heartfelt get-well messages that are encouraging, hopeful, and even humorous. Whatever you write, the simple gesture of reaching out can go a long way toward making your loved one feel better.
Get well notes for a child
- Wishing on every star that you get better soon!
- [Pet name] and I are thinking about you. We hope you feel better soon.
- Sending a ray of sunshine your way because you always brighten my day. Get well soon!
- Sending the biggest hugs and kisses to a special little boy/girl. I love you!
- From everyone in [name of class], get well soon. We miss you so much!
Get well messages for your partner
- Home isn’t the same without you. Please get better so you can be back where you belong.
- I miss your hugs and kisses. I love you so much, [nickname]!
- I’m not surprised that germs got attracted to you. It happened to me, too. Get well soon!
- Feel better, my love. I’m keeping our bed warm for you.
- You are in my heart always, [nickname]. Get well soon so we can go to [favorite date spot]!
Get well ideas for your mother
- To the woman who raised me to be strong, I share some of that strength with you. I know you’ll get through this because you’re the strongest person I know. I love you and am wishing you all the best in your recovery.
- It wasn’t until now that I truly realized all that you do for me — like always knowing where my stuff is! All joking aside, I can’t begin to tell you how much I love and appreciate you. I know you’ll be back on your feet, feeling better than ever, in no time.
- I’m just now realizing that, apparently, even Wonder Woman can get sick. Sending lots of positive vibes and even more hugs and kisses your way as you heal, mom.
- I know this isn’t the way you wanted to spend your time, but take comfort in knowing that you’ll come out of this stronger than ever. Wishing you all the best as you make your way towards a speedy recovery!
Get well ideas for your father
- When I was younger and would fall, a big hug from you always made me feel better. While this illness may be bigger than a scratched knee, I’m hoping a big hug and lots of love from me has the power to make you feel better, too!
- We’re looking forward to having you back home, safe and sound with us. Like Hercules said, “A true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.” To my hero and personal Hercules, know that you can beat this!
- Like you always taught me, a positive attitude can get you through almost anything. We’re all sending you lots of love, positivity, and prayers, dad. We love you, get well soon!
Get well messages for a grandparent
- You took care of me when I was little, so now it’s my turn to take care of you. Sending you all my love and well-wishes for a speedy recovery, [Grandma/ Nana].
- How dare germs try to make a home in my grandma! I’m wishing you the speediest of recoveries and sending you all my love!
- Before you know it, you’ll beat this illness and we’ll be back to baking too many cookies at your house. I can’t wait to see you again, Grandma.
- Here’s hoping that a little encouragement goes a long way. Sending you all my love and hopes for an easy and speedy recovery!
Get well message ideas for a friend
- I guess germs find you as irresistible as I do! I hope you get well soon so we can go back to spending every day together.
- Charles R. Swindoll said, “Life is 10-percent what happens to you and 90-percent how you react to it.” Try to think of this illness as just another obstacle to overcome. You’ve got this!
- Instead of seeing this as a hospital stay, think of it as a spa package that includes plenty of relaxing, free food, and check-ups! Don’t worry though — once you’re better, we’ll go for an actual spa day (on me!).
- I may not have a degree in medicine, but here’s to hoping I have friendship’s healing touch. Sending all my love and hoping you get well soon!
- Feel better, [name]! Sending you all my love.
- You mean the world to me. I hope you feel better soon.
- Wishing you a speedy recovery so you can get back to being your amazing self!
- Feel better, friend! Sending lots of hugs and healing thoughts your way.
- I look forward to having your light back in my life. Get well soon.
Get well note ideas for a coworker or colleague
- Work isn’t the same without you! Hoping to see your smiling face soon.
- Looking forward to seeing you back at our home away from home.
- Hoping you find strength in each new day. We’re thinking of you!
- Get well soon. You are missed.
- I’m so sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well. You’re not just a colleague but a friend. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help during this difficult time.
- You know, there are better ways to get out of work than getting sick. I’m really missing my desk buddy lately and wishing you a speedy recovery.
- I’m sorry to hear you had to take a sick day because you’re actually sick. I hope you get well soon and we can return to our daily lunch dates!
- You’re in everyone’s thoughts as you recover from your illness. Best wishes that you’ll be back in the office soon. We love and miss you!
Get well notes after surgery
- Sending my best wishes to you as you recover from your surgery.
- I’m glad to hear your surgery went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
- Hope your recovery is quick and easy. Before you know it, you’ll be [insert favorite activity] like a pro again.
- I’m happy to hear you’re on the mend. You’re going to bounce back stronger than ever!
- You’re the strongest person I know. You got this!
Get well messages for a serious illness or injury
- I’m sorry to hear the news about your diagnosis. I wish you well as you begin treatment.
- You’re the bravest person I know. You’re going to come out of this stronger than ever.
- You are not alone. We will be here for you every step of the way.
- Your strength inspires me. You’re in my thoughts during this difficult time.
- Thinking of you as you begin treatment. Feel better soon.
Humorous get well notes
- Life is boring without you. Get better and come back soon!
- The doctor says you’re on a diet, so I’ll have to eat all the cake and ice cream here on your table.
- Hoping you’ll be back to your awesome self soon. I want to know what hospital food tastes like!
- You really like to steal the limelight, don’t you? Feel better soon!
- All this for a few days off work? Get well soon!
Get well notes for a significant other
- To the love of my life — it pains me to see you ill, but know that I’ll be by your side every step of the way. Here’s to an easy recovery and getting back to our lives together.
- For years, your smile made me feel better, even on the toughest days. Here’s to hoping that my smile brings you even half the joy that you’ve always brought me.
- Like we said in our vows, “in sickness and in health.” I’ll be here for you day or night, dear. In a short period of time, this will all be a distant memory, but we will both be stronger for it.
- We’ve been through a lot together, and this is just another hurdle to make it over. I’ll be here to hold your hand, feed you soup, and help nurse you back to health. I love you.
Don’t forget to send something special
Nothing goes better with a get-well card than a get-well gift. From flowers and plants to comfort food and gift baskets, lift their spirits with a delivery that will make their day.