Celebrating doesn’t have to stop while in quarantine! No matter which holidays you observe, there are endless ways to get festive. Our new series, Home for the Holidays, shares the positives of celebrating virtually, tips on keeping your traditions alive, and creative decorating ideas from professional designers. Get ready to make this the best holiday season yet!
How to Make Edible Santa Hat Strawberries and Floral Christmas Centerpieces
Everyone knows Santa’s iconic red and white hat. Put one on and you’ll instantly be in the holiday spirit!
I decided to have a little fun and make one entirely out of fresh flowers. Not only are they creative, but they’re so easy to make and will make you look like the “hostess with the mostess” at your next holiday get-together!
How to make a Santa hat floral centerpiece
Materials you’ll need for the flower Santa hat:
- Red and white carnations
- Floral foam – cone shape
1. Thoroughly soak the floral foam by letting it float in a sink full of water until it has fully absorbed the water before placing it on a flat dish or a low bowl slightly larger the the foam. I used 9” x 4” floral foam cone by Oasis and a 6” clear design dish.
2. Cut the carnations stem to a length of about 3” and insert into the foam starting with the white ones to form the “fur” trim at the bottom of the hat. Leave one carnation for the pom-pom at the top.
3. Add the red carnations all the way around until you have completely covered the foam. Finish off with the white one on top.
4. You can add a few sprigs of evergreens to the base and a little at the top if you feel that it needs it as a finishing touch.
5. Keep your Santa hat centerpiece in a cool location, adding an ice cube to the dish everyday and it should stay fresh for more than a week.
DIY Santa hat with strawberries, marshmallows, and coconuts
Need the perfect complement to your floral Santa Hat? These sweet little pop in your mouth treats are so easy to make you’ll find yourself wanting to make more – for yourself, your family, friends, co-workers (you get the idea)! Find lots of delicious dipped strawberries to send this holiday at our 1-800-Flowers and Fruit Bouquet sites.
What you’ll need to make your Santa Hat strawberries:
* White melting chocolate
* Coconut flakes
* Mini marshmallows
1. Remove the green stem from the strawberry. Don’t cut it off just gently pull it away from the strawberry.
2. Dip the larger end of the strawberry into the bowl of melted white chocolate, covering about a fifth to a quarter of the strawberry.
3. Immediately hold the dipped strawberry over a bowl of shredded coconut and, using a spoon, drop the coconut flakes onto the melted chocolate on the strawberry. Place on a plate dipped side down.
4. Dip a mini marshmallow into the melted white chocolate and then place on top of the strawberry to complete the Santa hat. As the chocolate cools and hardens it will hold the marshmallow onto the strawberry.
Peppermint hot chocolate
Who doesn’t love a nice cup of hot cocoa, especially during the holidays? For me, it’s all about the presentation. I used a regular hot cocoa mix, but made it look fancy by serving it in a monogrammed mason jar mug, garnishing the rim with crushed candy canes and topping it off with marshmallows and a candy cane. The candy cane alone will add a peppermint flavor to the hot chocolate, or you could add 3 drops of peppermint oil per glass. Better yet, include a shot of peppermint Schnapps to the hot chocolate to help chase away that winter chill!