Take a minute to think about the people who are closest to you – many will be members of your family, but the rest will be your dearest and truest friends.
Although you should never need a reason to celebrate your friendship with others (though some have adopted the tradition of the “friend-aversary”), each August, Friendship Day gives us the chance to truly honor our friends and let them know just how grateful we are to have them in our lives. How do you and your BFF(s) plan to celebrate this year?
If you’re looking for ideas you’ve come to the right place – below, we’re sharing 10 of our favorite friendship day activities.
- Make friendship bracelets. Friendship bracelets have long been used to signify the connection between BFFs, so if you and yours don’t already have one, grab your supplies and get started! Our DIY guide for making friendship bracelets has everything you need to know on this.
- Go to the beach. If weather permits, grab your shades, pack a lunch, and put on your best beach outfit so that you and your pal(s) can spend the day outdoors!
- Plan a dinner party. Have a bunch of friends that you’d like to celebrate with? Plan a dinner party either at your favorite restaurant or at someone’s home! If you choose to eat in, consider a potluck where you ask each friend to bring their best dinner dish.
- Host a movie or TV marathon. Missed last week’s episode of your favorite TV show? Or, is there a movie series you’ve been dying to see but haven’t had the time? If so, catch up on your favorite flicks with your best friend by your side!
- Take a day trip. Some of the best tourist attractions are located right in your own backyard. Research a few of the top things to do in your town (or neighboring communities) and make a day out of it – some ideas may include the aquarium, the zoo, a botanical garden or a museum!
- The best workout is the one done with a friend! Now, this doesn’t mean you have to spend the whole day in the gym – you can also head out on a bike ride, go rollerblading on the boardwalk, or take a hike on your favorite trail!
- There’s no better feeling than giving back, and we bet it’ll feel even better when you do so with your BFF. So, research some organizations in your area and see who could use a helping hand!
- Visit the spa. Ahh, a little R&R time! Start the day with a manicure and/or pedicure, then treat yourselves to a massage – you deserve it! Or, you can create your own spa and enjoy your R&R time right in the comfort of your or your friends’ own home – all you need are the right lotions, candles and some soaps!
- Or, if your cooking and/or baking skills could use a little help, take a cooking class! If you want to surprise your friend with his or her favorite treat, you may even consider tackling this activity alone before you get together to really start celebrating.
- Go shopping. A little retail therapy never hurt anyone! Head to your local mall, outlets or shopping center and treat yourselves to those clothes and accessories you’ve been wanting to buy. And don’t forget to stop for lunch while you’re out!
In addition to planning activities that you can do to celebrate your friendship with your BFFs, don’t forget that you can also send them a gift or two as well. From flowers to chocolates, or an arrangement to say thank you for being you, we know that your best friends will absolutely love the gesture!
Friendship Day may only come once a year, but remember that everyday is a good day to spend time with those that matter most. That said, don’t worry if you can’t get to all of these activities in just 24 hours – you have 364 other days of the year to get them done!